To: Ubuntu Firefox Packager: Is FF crash reporting enabled in FF Ub Package? ; jor

giovanni_re john_re at fastmail.us
Fri Jul 9 21:08:30 UTC 2010

To: the Ubuntu Firefox Packager (sending to the Ubuntu list, since I don't know who that is, don't have time to search the info out, & am wondering if the packagers read this list):

Is Firefox crash reporting enabled in the FF Ubuntu Package?

{AnteScript:  When you reply to this message, if you are the FF packager, please mention that. Thank you.}

I ask because:
1) I'm getting FF crashes about twice per week,
2) on the FF list, support-firefox at lists.mozilla.org, nmo2 at ilias.ca  said:
"Depending on which Linux distro you are using, crash reporting may be disabled if you grab it from the package manager. If you get Firefox from http://getfirefox.com/ crash reporting will be available.
"

If it is not,
1) Why?
2) Wouldn't having it be enabled be the best way to get bugs identified then fixed?
3) Will you enable it, please?

Thanks :)

==
PS:  Please 1) tell me briefly, & 2) provide a URL with info about:
What does the FF extension below, which comes with the Ubuntu Firefox, do? :

Ubuntu Firefox modifications 0.9rc2

=====
Firefox 3.6.6 in KUbuntu 10.4

dpkg -l "firefox*"
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
||/ Name                        Version                     Description
+++-===========================-===========================-======================================================================
ii  firefox                     3.6.6+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10 safe and easy web browser from Mozilla
un  firefox-2                   <none>                      (no description available)
un  firefox-2-dom-inspector     <none>                      (no description available)
un  firefox-2-libthai           <none>                      (no description available)
un  firefox-3.0                 <none>                      (no description available)
un  firefox-3.5                 <none>                      (no description available)
un  firefox-3.5-branding        <none>                      (no description available)
un  firefox-3.6                 <none>                      (no description available)
un  firefox-3.6-branding        <none>                      (no description available)
un  firefox-3.6-gnome-support   <none>                      (no description available)
ii  firefox-branding            3.6.6+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10 Package that ships the firefox branding
un  firefox-gnome-support       <none>                      (no description available)
un  firefox-ubufox              <none>                      (no description available)

=====  on the FF list, support-firefox at lists.mozilla.org, nmo2 at ilias.ca  said:

Subject:  Re: How get useful info for debug from crash? - FALSE FF WEB PAGE	INFO ABOUT CRASHES, PLS FIX  -  Crash when close tab,	had    flash & javascript ; jor

"On 10-07-08 10:05 PM, giovanni_re wrote:
> Furthermore, these web pages have invalid information about crash reports.  Someone should correct the misinformation on the website.
>
> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Firefox+crashes?s=crash&as=s
> "After a crash, the Mozilla Crash Reporter will appear, asking if you want to send technical details of the crash to Mozilla for processing. "  - False - that didn't happen.
>

> http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Mozilla+Crash+Reporter?s=crash&as=s
> "Viewing reports outside of Firefox
> If you can't use the above method because Firefox crashes when it starts, you can also view the reports in files on your computer. "
>
> "Linux:
> Crash reports are stored in ~/.mozilla/firefox/Crash Reports/
> The Crash Reports folder will contain two subfolders: pending and submitted. submitted contains reports that have been submitted, while pending contains reports that have not. Each file in these folders represents one report. "
>
> False - no such folder exists. Nor in the folder below "firefox".

Depending on which Linux distro you are using, crash reporting may be disabled if you grab it from the package manager. If you get Firefox from http://getfirefox.com/ crash reporting will be available.
"

==  Join in the Global weekly meetings, via VOIP, about all Free SW HW & Culture