Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

Jesse Palser SLNTHERO at aol.com
Fri Jul 9 21:07:23 UTC 2010

  On 07/09/2010 08:53 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> Jesse Palser wrote:

>>> I switched a year ago from Evolution, for many of the reasons give by
>>> others on this list, to Thunderbird 2.0 (from the Ubuntu repository)
>>> with lightning.
>>> If you want your mail editing be normal:
>>> A. Don't use html *although I assume you use plain text)
>>> Goto Edit->   preferences->   composition ->   General
>>> There you can set the # of characters before wrapping.
>>> Of course I don't know how thunderbird 3.0 works but in the Ubuntu
>>> repositories (for 9.10) you still get thunderbird 2.0 which, in my
>>> system works without a problem (already for over a year).
>>> Joep
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> You can easily add current Mozilla Thunderbird 3 to 10.04 Package Manager
>> by typing the following in Terminal:
>> "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa"
>> Then you open Package Manager and click "Reload"
>> and then search for "Thunderbird".
>>
>> It is great for email and with a plugin
>> I can view my Google calendar from my Android phone.
>>
>> Give it a try!
>>
>> Jesse
>>
> Tero,
> My Thunderbird (2.0.0.24) doesn't work like that. I assume there is
> still something not correct in your setup. Google for it.
>
> Jesse,
> Thanks for the suggestion but why changing a winning horse?
> I don't know if I don't introduce a lot of problems when going over.
> Moerover, does it install seamlessly over 2.0.0.24 or do I have to
> import my old mail (which is>2 years and loads of mail).
> Joep

Hi,

If you like Thunderbird 2 and it works fine for you then stay with it.

I did a format and a complete system install when 10.04 was released
and all my emails are stored on the servers, so was not much of a hassle.

Not sure about upgrading from 2.x to 3.x - never tried to do that.
If your happy then would be safer to stay with what you are using now.

Jesse