Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

Joep L. Blom jlblom at neuroweave.nl
Fri Jul 9 12:53:22 UTC 2010

Jesse Palser wrote:
>   On 07/09/2010 08:15 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> Tero Pesonen wrote:
>>> Thunderbird has the issue that you cannot compose messages on it like on
>>> a normal, well-behaving mail client. The line you're writing just keeps
>>> going on and on and on and wraps only after it has rolled long past the
>>> right hand corner of the screen. The result is that the composer window
>>> will have a scroll bar which you need to scroll from left to right in
>>> case you want to read what you wrote above -- the lines are that long.
>>> There is no way to get rid of this and have the composer wrap at, say,
>>> 68 or 72 characters. This behaviour goes against all HCI and
>>> accessibility guidelines ever produced and renders the product useless.
>>> The "feature" is well-known though the motivation behind introducing it
>>> back in the original Mozilla Mail is not.
>>>
>>> Do not make Thunderbird default for anything till they fix message
>>> composition.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tero Pesonen
>>>
>> I switched a year ago from Evolution, for many of the reasons give by
>> others on this list, to Thunderbird 2.0 (from the Ubuntu repository)
>> with lightning.
>> If you want your mail editing be normal:
>> A. Don't use html *although I assume you use plain text)
>> Goto Edit->  preferences->  composition ->  General
>> There you can set the # of characters before wrapping.
>> Of course I don't know how thunderbird 3.0 works but in the Ubuntu
>> repositories (for 9.10) you still get thunderbird 2.0 which, in my
>> system works without a problem (already for over a year).
>> Joep
>>

> Hi,
>
> You can easily add current Mozilla Thunderbird 3 to 10.04 Package Manager
> by typing the following in Terminal:
> "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-mozilla-daily/ppa"
> Then you open Package Manager and click "Reload"
> and then search for "Thunderbird".
>
> It is great for email and with a plugin
> I can view my Google calendar from my Android phone.
>
> Give it a try!
>
> Jesse

Tero,
My Thunderbird (2.0.0.24) doesn't work like that. I assume there is
still something not correct in your setup. Google for it.

Jesse,
Thanks for the suggestion but why changing a winning horse?
I don't know if I don't introduce a lot of problems when going over.
Moerover, does it install seamlessly over 2.0.0.24 or do I have to
import my old mail (which is >2 years and loads of mail).
Joep