UUID anomaly

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Fri Jul 9 12:23:25 UTC 2010

09.07.2010 13:14, Nils Kassube:

> Nowadays I avoid the blkid command and use
>
> ls -l /dev/disk/by-*/
>
> instead. I'm quite confident that the output of this command is real and
> not from a cache file.

IIRC those disk/by-* symlinks to actual device nodes are generated by
udev. So, there's probably no cache file involved. But the interesting
question is: does udev update those symlinks immediately when device
info changes?
This seems to be the case. For testing purposes (on Lucid), I created a
new LV and did a
# mkfs -t ext4 /dev/<vg>/<lv>
twice. After each invocation of mkfs a new/updated symlink existed in
/dev/disk/by-uuid
whose name was what blkid (as root) reported to be the UUID of the device.

All in all: good point!

--
Regards
  mks