Gnome Manager Window Problems (keyboard and mouse)

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 9 01:25:53 UTC 2010

On 07/08/2010 06:00 PM, Tim Henderson wrote:

> On 07/08/10 16:28, NoOp wrote:
>>
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126
>> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126?comments=all>
>> [Compiz / vnc screen refresh with nvidia-restricted
>> driver/VirtualBox/ATI fglrx driver using X.org]
>>
>> Long read, sorry. Temporarily turn off compiz at both sides are what
>> many recommend. However, I found that I can leave compiz on (in nearly
>> all situations) via gconf-editor:
>> /desktop/gnome/remote_access/disable_xdamage
>> if I run into similar.
>> ===
>> If true, we will not use the XDamage extension of X.org. This extension
>> does not work properly on some video drivers when using 3D effects.
>> Disabling it will make vino work on these environments with a slower
>> rendering as side effect.
>> ====
>>

> Disabling xdamage seem to have broken the vino-server, disallowing
> access.  Perhaps that setting is deprecated or removed in the latest?
> Regardless we have built a new HDD for the server and we are going to
> ship to hypothetical CA for more testing.

Wait, server or desktop? Obviously you wouldn't be using RDV for a
server so I'll assume desktop. In any event, disabling xdamage
shouldn't/wouldn't have "broken the vino-server" disallowing access; you
can of course renable and logout/login to reset if needed. If disabling
xdamage isn't working, try turning off compiz on both ends (see the bug
report comments). Also, rather than using RDV, I'd recommend using the
'Terminal Server Client' instead. 'sudo apt-get install tsclient'.
You'll then find it in the same location: Applications|Internet|Terminal
Server Client.