Rebuild main menu from scratch?

Cameron Hutchison lists at xdna.net
Fri Jul 9 00:31:05 UTC 2010

"Cybe R. Wizard" <cyber_wizard at mindspring.com> writes:

>I recently decided to try a new installation of 10.04 just to rid
>myself of the cruft accumulated by upgrading from Warty Warthog (4.10).
>In doing so I kept my /home and all its settings.  I suppose that the
>main menu is in there somewhere as I still have lots of stuff on the
>menu which is no longer installed.  Is there a way to rebuild the menu
>to include only the software currently installed?

You may find a bunch of *.desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications.
These will contain any changes you have previously made to the menu from
your user account.

/usr/share/applications should contain all the .desktop files for the
software actually installed on your system. If you run

$ dpkg -S /usr/share/applications/*.desktop > /dev/null

then any errors you see will be for .desktop files not belonging to any
package.