UUID anomaly

Rashkae ubuntu at tigershaunt.com
Thu Jul 8 23:02:44 UTC 2010

NoOp wrote:
> On 07/08/2010 02:39 PM, R Kimber wrote:
>> Following some partition resizing that appeared to go well, I've discovered
>> that gparted reports the id of sdc7 as:
>>     ae8fcccb-59d9-4b7e-aa02-c301eee02c8f
>> whereas blkid reports it as:
>>     ed0b56e7-7a08-4e94-8c52-3de8d5e5c6fb
>>
>> Which is correct?  Are there other ways of finding the UUID that I can use
>> to check?
>
> I'd go with blkid. Sounds as if gparted has a bug? What does /etc/fstab
> show?
>
> FWIW: Mine do match.
>
>> It's unsettling that apps can't report something as fundamental as the UUID
>> consistently.
>>
>> - Richard.

I once stumbled onto something like this changing an XFS filesystem to a
EXT3 filesystem.  Most filesystems leave empty space in the partition
superblock (which can be used by a bootloader, for example) but XFS does
not.. presumably, XFS left filesystem meta-data in the 'dead' space not
used by ext.. I had to zero out that partition to prevent any left over
xfs meta-data from interfering.  There might be other strange
combinations that might have this effect as well.