Evolution mail unstable, please switch to Thunderbird for the next release...

K V vale.kenny at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 20:02:59 UTC 2010

I'm sorry to say, as awesome as Evolution could be, I too get frequent
crashes and freezes.  Same scenario, with one SIGNIFICANT exception - I am
forced to use the Exchange MAPI plugin to synchronize with the central IT
Exchange 2007 server.  Yes, I have to use MAPI, because our division relies
heavily on Outlook's calendaring and scheduling tools, along with interfaces
to Sharepoint (shudder - I have to maintain it).  So, yes, I do have to have
MAPI.  Unfortunately, the client hangs at least a couple of times an hour or
requires a restart to enable mailbox synchronisation so I can re-enter my
password because for some reason the password is not being authenticated..
actually, I'll give a brief synopsis:
Upon first opening Evolution, I usually have to enter my password.. no big
deal..  things generally sync just fine.
After a brief time, if I try and open mail, I receive a notice to the effect
that Evolution cannot retrieve the message from the mail server
If I tell it to resynch, I get an error that Evolution cannot retrieve
messages.
At this point, I can do one of two things.. go into the configuration system
and tell Evolution to reauthenticate me from my account area
or
I can close evolution and reload it, which usually works for a few minutes.

In short, the situation really, completely stinks.
So, now I'm forced to use Outlook over an rdesktop connection, which is
pretty much a pain in the arse, as I'm sure you can imagine.  I would LOVE
to have an email client that will reliably connect with Exchange 2007 and
not have it come from Microsoft.

Peace