disable ssh startup lucid

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Tue Jul 6 19:41:23 UTC 2010

Ali Khalfan <ali.khalfan at gmail.com> writes:

> ok somebody help me out here
>
> so sshd by default gets installed as a service, so every time, a
> workstation restarts, it will be brought up by default.
>
> I wanted to disable sshd on startup so I did the regulat stuff such as:
>
> invoke-rc.d ssh stop && service -f ssh remove && update.rc-d ssh remove

In Ubuntu 10.04 the ssh server is not started by a legacy init script
but by upstart so invoke-rc.d doesn't work.

* Rename /etc/init/ssh.conf to /etc/init/ssh.disabled if you want to
  disable sshd completely

* In /etc/init/ssh.conf replace the line "start on filesystem"
  with "#start on filesystem" if you only want to disable the automatic
  start at boot time but still want to start it using "service ssh start"

> I see at /etc/network/if-up.d that there is a script for openssh-server,
> mainly that if something with the interface is update, so will sshd ,
> would this be a reason for concern?

No, it only restarts sshd if it's already running

   Florian
--
How to add files opened in Emacs to GNOME’s recently used document list:
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/doc/emacs/add-to-gnomes-recently-used-documents/>