building and installing a new kernel makes my system unbootable

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jul 6 14:51:04 UTC 2010

On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> 06.07.2010 16:29, Robert P. J. Day:
>
> > On Tue, 6 Jul 2010, Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>
> >> The system you do update-initramfs on must have lvm2 installed, of
> >> course. Maybe re-installing it helps?
> >
> >   it seems to be installed just fine, and it *must* be working fine
> > since the ubuntu apt-get-installed kernels work properly and can mount
> > that root filesystem, it's only my hand-rolled kernel that can't.
> >
> >   i might break down and ask on the ubuntu kernel mailing list, even
> > though i really don't want to bug them about something that's going to
> > turn out to be trivial. :-(
>
> Did you enable device mapper support in your kernel's config?

  i believe so.  as the config file, i grabbed the one for the most
recent ubuntu kernel (2.6.23-32?), copied it to my kernel source dir
as .config, then ran "make oldconfig".  and here's the excerpt of the
.config file that was used for the build:

CONFIG_MD=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD=y
CONFIG_MD_AUTODETECT=y
CONFIG_MD_LINEAR=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID0=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID1=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID10=m
CONFIG_MD_RAID456=m
# CONFIG_MULTICORE_RAID456 is not set
CONFIG_MD_RAID6_PQ=m
CONFIG_ASYNC_RAID6_TEST=m
CONFIG_MD_MULTIPATH=m
CONFIG_MD_FAULTY=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM=y
# CONFIG_DM_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_DM_CRYPT=m
CONFIG_DM_SNAPSHOT=y
CONFIG_DM_MIRROR=y
# CONFIG_DM_LOG_USERSPACE is not set
CONFIG_DM_ZERO=m
CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH=y
CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH_QL=m
CONFIG_DM_MULTIPATH_ST=m
# CONFIG_DM_DELAY is not set
CONFIG_DM_UEVENT=y

  is there anything there that should be "y" instead of "m"?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca