Rescue md/software RAID array

Matthias Brennwald matthias at brennwald.org
Tue Jul 6 07:08:50 UTC 2010

On 6. Jul 2010, at 3:26, Christopher Chan <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

>> I am able to boot using a rescue CD (I used the Ubuntu alternate installer disk, because the Live CD does not have md/softraid support), but I don't really know how to proceed in order to fix things. I would greatly appreciate any hints on how to get the machine up and running again. For instance, which commands should I try after booting into the Ubuntu rescue CD?
>

> mdadm --assemble --scan

Result: "No arrays found in config file"

On 6. Jul 2010, at 8:26, Luis Paulo <luis.barbas at gmail.com> wrote:

> # apt-get install mdadm
> # mdadm --auto-detect

I skipped the "apt-get install" because I am using the Ubuntu Alternate Disk which already has mdadm. Then I ran "mdadm --auto-detect", which gave no result.

Do I have to specifiy the md devices explicitly somehow? These would be /dev/sdb1, /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdd1 (plus the spare /dev/sde1)

Just a note that might be important (but I am not sure): before entering the shell of the alternate disk I was asked about the root file system and where I wanted to execute the shell. I chose "do not use a root file system" and "execute shell in installer environment".

Thanks for your help!

Matthias