ifconfig eth0 up/down

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 01:31:19 UTC 2010

Tom H <tomh0665 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 3:39 PM, Thufir <hawat.thufir <at> gmail.com> wrote:
> > I was moving some stuff about and disconnected the cable modem, then
> > booted the pc.  I reconnected the wires, ensured that all the lights on
> > the were solid, with the activity light blinking on the modem and network
> > card.  However, I was unable to ping google or connect out.  Here's what
> > I had:
> > A simple restart fixed the problem, hwat I have now seems exactly the
> > same now:
> > except that now I have internet access (obviously).  Why?  What did the
> > restart accomplish?
>
> Either your route or dns resolution was not set.

"Linux does not cache DNS by default. You have to manually install nscd or a dns
server to cache DNS. Your DNS server IS your cache. If you have a router,
restart that router. It will clear the cache."

So, I don't actually have DNS resolution locally, as I haven't installed ncsd or
similar.  What do you mean by route information?

thanks,

Thufir