Rescue md/software RAID array

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 01:13:00 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Christopher Chan <
christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:

> On Tuesday, July 06, 2010 01:30 AM, Matthias Brennwald wrote:
> > Dear all
> >
> > Last weekend my server "crashed". The machine was running Ubuntu Server
> 10.04. The file system (except /boot, which is on a different disk) was on a
> md software RAID (3 disks in RAID 5, plus 1 spare disk). This morning I
> tried to log in remotely using ssh, but immediately after login the terminal
> was closed again (so the machine was still running somehow, but it did not
> want me to be logged in).
> >
> > I didn't think much and tried to reboot the machine (I forgot to try
> logging in directly at the machine). During booting I got a message that the
> md RAID was degraded, and if I want to continue booting. I answered yes.
> Immediately after this, I got a message saying that a device/disk UUID could
> not be found and then got an "(initramfs)" shell.
> >
> > I am able to boot using a rescue CD (I used the Ubuntu alternate
> installer disk, because the Live CD does not have md/softraid support), but
> I don't really know how to proceed in order to fix things. I would greatly
> appreciate any hints on how to get the machine up and running again. For
> instance, which commands should I try after booting into the Ubuntu rescue
> CD?
>

> mdadm --assemble --scan

I believe that after booting the live cd you can do install any software you
need to proceed.
It will disappear when you reboot.  But if you are more comfortable in the
live cd environment that's an option.  (Actually I'm extrapolating from
another distribution, but I believe I am correct).

--
Drew Einhorn

"You can see a lot by just looking."
 --  Yogi Berra