How to determine which codec a video is encoded in

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 20:05:45 UTC 2010

On 07/05/2010 01:26 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 5 July 2010 22:18, Florian Diesch<diesch at spamfence.net>  wrote:
>
>> Dotan Cohen<dotancohen at gmail.com>  writes:
>>

>>> I have some video files that I need to know what codec is used to
>>> decode them. I know that the Windows software G-spot will help, is
>>> there anything for Linux / Ubuntu? I have googled and found nothing,
>>> and the ffmpeg manpage does not give any information on the topic. I
>>> even tried "strings" on the files but that yielded nothing useful!

     Is this not enough information?

karl at Lucid:~/Desktop$ file
age-JofromFloridademonstrateshowstupidsheisonradio_WMVV9.wmv
age-JofromFloridademonstrateshowstupidsheisonradio_WMVV9.wmv: Microsoft ASF
karl at Lucid:~/Desktop$
karl at Lucid:~/Desktop$
karl at Lucid:~/Desktop$ file
sexiest_ad_in_the_world_fleggaard_skydive_100104-The_Sun_16x.avi
sexiest_ad_in_the_world_fleggaard_skydive_100104-The_Sun_16x.avi: RIFF
(little-endian) data, AVI, 480 x 270, 25.00 fps, video:, audio: MPEG-1
Layer 3 (stereo, 44100 Hz)

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI