How to determine which codec a video is encoded in

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 19:19:06 UTC 2010

On 5 July 2010 12:35, Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th> wrote:
>> I have some video files that I need to know what codec is used to
>> decode them. I know that the Windows software G-spot will help, is
>
> Have you tried the command file(1)?
>
> # file les-tontons-flingueurs.avi
> les-tontons-flingueurs.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 672 x 400, 25.00 fps, video: XviD, audio: MPEG-1 Layer 3 (stereo, 48000 Hz)

Wow, thanks, I did not even think about using file! Although it does
not give me the detailed output that you got, it does give me some:
✈dcl:toDesktop$ file Little\ E\ playing\ piano.3gp
Little E playing piano.3gp: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, version 1
✈dcl:toDesktop$ file d02-001.3gp
d02-001.3gp: ISO Media, MPEG v4 system, 3GPP

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il