screensaver freezes system totally

Sean McGowan wondershot at verizon.net
Mon Jul 5 15:55:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 12:25 +0100, pete wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Having talked a friend into trying ubumtu 10.4 lucid (he's running the
> 64 bit version), He is encountering a problem that I have never come
> across before.
>
> Namely when the screen-saver has been running for about 20mins it
> freezes completely, and becomes totally unresponsive, only thing left is
> a hard reset!
>
> His system spec are
>
> AMD athlon dual core processor:
> Nvidia graphics (dunno which 1) using Nvidia current driver
> 4gb ram

I run a similar configuration, with only 3gb RAM and have not
experienced these issues.

> where would I find the relevant logs to try and start de-bugging this
> annoyance.
relaunch the daemon (gnome-screensaver) with the --debug option.  It will log in the /tmp directory.

First, however, I would look at the power management settings.
Systems->Preferences-Power Management, or you can get there from
Systems->Preferences-screensaver if you already have it open.

Is your computer set to hibernate?  Or monitor set to go to sleep?  Turn
these options off and see if you run in to the same issue.

Good luck,

--
Sean McGowan

// Chuck Norris can divide by zero.