Migrate Windows 2000 AD to Ubuntu 10.4

Olivier Nicole Olivier.Nicole at cs.ait.ac.th
Mon Jul 5 10:27:07 UTC 2010

> Samba controler+LDAP is, of course, in a test domain to test.

So what is working/not working so far? Can you join one test machine
to the test domain in samba+ldap?

Can you autheticate a user?

Do you have any ldap browser installed to check that the entries in
your ldap directory are the one you expect?

I did the simple migration from samba to samba+ldap, that only was a
major pain (part of it being I had ldap running and I had to integrate
the existing directiory rather than creating a new directory).

I'use a test SSID and change all what is needed to use the existing
domain SSID once I am ready for complete migration.

> getent passwd command return this information, I changed
> /etc/nsswitch.conf :
>
> passwd:         compat ldap
> group:          compat ldap
> shadow:         compat ldap

In fact you don't need to modify nsswitch for group and shadow, unless
you want your users to authenticate to the Unix machine too. Samba
will access LDAP server directly to read the group and password
information (and password is saved in the LDAP attributes
sambaNTPassword (and sambaLMPassword?), not in the Unix password).

Bests,

olivier