Leaving Ubuntu back to Windows

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 22:36:08 UTC 2010

On 07/03/2010 04:05 PM, Nathan Bahn wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Karl Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com
> <mailto:klarsen1 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 07/03/2010 03:44 PM, rbv wrote:

>>>     You do have a choice and you are making it.
>>>
>>>     Lets start with this. On 6-25 you posted a email about multiples of
>>>     items. How about starting with asking 1 question, getting that solved
>>>     and then asking another.
>>>
>>>     And there are more than one place to ask questions - about how about
>>>     forums.
>>>
>>>     I dont see anything in your emails about your system. How old is this
>>>     computer? What hardware do you have?
>>>
>>>     Is Ubuntu for every machine? No. Some machines take work - others, not
>>>     so much.
>>>
>>>     As for choice: Windows is mandated to a degree and you see no other
>>>     option but that. This isnt a use this instead of that OS. This is, you
>>>     have alternatives but you will have to learn about your alternatives
>>>     before you can use them.
>>>
>>>     Wade
>>>

>>     Intel 965 chipset motherboard
>>     DDR2 SDRAM 667Mz 2 plus 1 total 3 GB
>>     Intel Dual Core
>>     LG DVD writer
>>     nVidia GeForce 8400 GS
>>     80 GB Hitachi hard disk
>>
>>     This machine was working with Windows Vista 64 bit, earlier,
>>     which i totally formatted and installed Ubuntu Karmac, then
>>     upgraded to 10.04 online through update manager.
>>
>>     only when so many learned people warned me about Windows phishing
>>     and all, i changed to Ubuntu.
>>
>>     I will be pleased to provide any detail you ask for
>>
>>     rbv
>>

>             Pretty small hard drive. Suggest you get a larger one, say
>     160 GB. You can load a 64 bit version of Ubuntu. I think you
>     should start with the version 10.04  LiveCD for installing a
>     simple Desktop.
>
>         When it comes up look for problems. Ask for help on ONLY ONE
>     at a time. You WILL get help that way :-)
>

>     73 Karl
>

>     --
>
>     	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
>     	Linux User
>     	#450462http://counter.li.org.
>              Key ID = 3951B48D
>

>     --
>

> K.L.--
>
> I find myself -- rightly or wrongly -- disagreeing with your
> assessment vis-a-vis the hard drive size.  Granted, while my
> experience is quite limited, I */have/* worked with 10 Gigabyte hard
> drives; and if XP Pro can work just fine, then I respectfully submit
> that Ubuntu should have no problem as well.
>
> rbv--
>
> Sorry about my misunderstanding what you wrote.
>
> --N.B.
> See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html &
> http://www.openoffice.org (Nathan Bahn)
     Some time ago I bought a 40MB hard drive. It was shipped suspended
in a large wooden crate. It was huge compared with 360KB floppies we
used. I recall that hard drive cost $400.00 back when the Dollar was
worth a lot.

     You CAN load Ubuntu onto a 5 GB hard drive. But very little space
for your stuff. My saved pictures and things take 8 GB to store.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User