Ubuntu 10.04 USB Mouse Problems reported by a number of, users.

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sat Jul 3 19:17:33 UTC 2010

NoOp wrote:
> On 07/02/2010 11:05 PM, Nils Kassube wrote:
> > NoOp wrote:
> >> What is dmesg showing when all of this happens? Their _must_ be
> >> something in the /var/logs/ that is of use.
> >
> > Well, if the system is frozen, there is no way to look at dmesg.
> > And if the system is completely locked, there is no way for it to
> > write anything to the system logs. To me it looks like it is
> > completely locked because it isn't reachable over the wireless
> > network.
>
> But there may be something in the logs just prior to the freeze; I
> still think it worth a look.

Agreed, it is sure worth to have a look. I'm just not so sure if there
really "_must_ be something in the /var/logs/ that is of use". You might
see something if it is e.g. a problem of a dying harddisk where read
failures and disk controller resets are logged. OTOH, if it is e.g. a
temperature problem which locks the CPU, it is unlikely to see something
in the logs.

Nils