text to html

Kevin O'Gorman kogorman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 16:44:36 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 2:07 AM, Jozsi Avadkan <jozsi.avadkan at gmail.com>wrote:

> input:
> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=MqPXZwc3
>
> output:
> http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=8QCkp4yv
>
> it will be a long day.. :D
>
> could someone please help with it?
>
> i have to make a "one liner" that get's the input, and gives the
> mentioned output.
>
> First, I'm not really sure you want the exact output you posted.
1)  The second and third href="..." elements after "netbsd" seem to be
different from all the other multi-line groups.  Could this be a typo?
2)  The pipe symbol ("|") at the end of most groups also seems a bit odd.  I
would guess the last of each group
would not want one, as is the case with the first group.

Second, perl is my tool of choice for this sort of thing, and if you can
tolerate longer lines than usual, it can be made a one-liner.  This version
puts pipe ("|") after all links, but does not treat netbsd specially.  I'm
assuming that your shell is BASH. The quoting might need to be different in
other shells.

perl -n -e '$od=qq+/+; while (<>) { chomp; ($dir, $stuff)=split /\//, $_, 2;
@all = split /\//, $_; $thing = $all[$#all]; $thing =~ s/\.html$//; if ($dir
ne $od) { print qq+<br>\n+ if $od ne qq+/+; $od = $dir; print qq+<br><font
} print qq+\n+;'

This really is a one-liner, so I've also attached it as a file in case mail
software creates line breaks.  If you can tolerate it as a separate script,
a multi-line version would be much more readable.

I still use Perl a lot for short things like this, even though it's one of
the less-readable languages I know.  I've moved on to Python for most of the
stuff I used to use Perl for, because I can read the code a year later.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD