Jesus, am I using windows here or what????

Pete Vander Giessen petevg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 22:54:43 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Ray Parrish <crp at cmc.net> wrote:
> Could someone please tell me how to undo the crap that has been foisted
> off on me today by this "upgrade"????

Hi Ray,

The Ubuntu maintainers chose to push Firefox 3.6 to users because
security updates have been discontinued for Firefox 3.0, and the
expectation with Canonical supported apps is that they will receive
security updates.

If you really want to roll back to an old version of Firefox, the best
thing to do would be to install it manually.  Instructions here:

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing%20a%20previous%20version%20of%20Firefox

As the page mentions, you'll be foregoing security updates, and it
would probably be a better idea to:
1)  Install the Firefox version in the Ubuntu repository.
2)  Clear the cache/history, or (worst comes to worst) create a new
profile.  Instructions for that stuff at the above link, too.

If you're unhappy with the direction that the Mozilla foundation is
taking Firefox, Google Chrome and Opera are both also available.  I
still tend to use Firefox as my primary browser, but the Chrome
extension ecosystem is getting good enough that I'm a little tempted
to switch.

~PeteVG

" ... the original aphorism being 'In comparison with the ancients, we
stand like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants.' The image was a
commonplace by the time Newton used it, his one contribution being to
erase any sense that he himself might be a dwarf."

~ Lewis Hyde