What is hammering my memory?

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Fri Jul 2 16:54:18 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 07:22:42PM +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Then what should I check to see what is causing the system to be sluggish?

'vmstat 1' in a terminal, then do something sluggish and post the output
here.

Usual causes include:

  * disk I/O
    - e.g. some process in the background is indexing your filesystem
    - or you are out of RAM and there's swapping (which you've already
      ruled out)
    - the kernel is doing a background RAID-1 resync every Sunday
      morning (unlikely for laptops, though ;)
  * CPU is bottle-necked
    - some background process is doing something computation-intensive
    - you're being flooded with network packets and the kernel is
      hogging the CPU processing them (also unlikely for laptops; but
      try to enable network shaping on an ancient Pentium PC used as an
      office router...)
  * poor video drivers causing screen redraws to be slow (depends on
    your graphics hardware, video driver, driver configuration, and
    applications you're running; also, I think this would show up as CPU
    usage on top).

Marius Gedminas
--
Did you hear that the author of _Nitpicking for Dummies_ has just
received it back from the publisher with the 182nd set of editorial