dist-upgrade

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at list-post.mks-mail.de
Fri Jul 2 13:08:54 UTC 2010

02.07.2010 14:20, Gustavo Lacoste:

> @Markus, you're probably right, but in debian based systems I have obtained
> good results by changing the repositories and then run from a terminal "sudo
> aptitude -y dist-upgrade", why do you think is wrong?.

First of all, because it's neither a recommended nor a supported way to
upgrade. And, even without further explanation, I consider it safe to
assume that the Ubuntu developers had good reasons why they did the
additional work to create update-manager and make that *the* way to upgrade.

Moreover, update-manager does more than simply replacing the repository
names and doing something like calling apt-get dist-upgrade. AFAICT it
also removes obsolete and install additional packages, and probably
other things.

Doing an upgrade the old Debian way does not necessarily mean that
you'll end up with a system that isn't working as expected in one way or
the other or that might even be totally hosed - but you shouldn't be too
surprised if you do.
Therefore it's not a good idea to recommend this procedure, which
contradicts the official recommendation, to others.

--
Regards
  mks