ODBC conection

Mike McGinn mikemcginn at mcginnweb.net
Fri Jul 2 00:44:07 UTC 2010

On Thursday 01 July 2010 14:53:09 stan wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 01:47:12PM -0400, Mike McGinn wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 July 2010 13:33:22 stan wrote:
> > > I have a peice of dedicated hardwarethatis suposed to provide remote
> > > ODBC connectivity. It uses Postgres for it's database.
> > >
> > > I have never done ODBC before. How do I go about setting up access to
> > > this device? Do I need to use something like Open Office? It appears
> > > that both base, and calc support ODBC conectivity, but it looks like
> > > this is one of those "standards that are not a standard".
> > >
> > > It appears that I need to define an ODBC instnace at teh OS level,
> > > before OO can use it. is this correct? If so, how do I go about doing
> > > that?
> >
> > You have to install the postgres odbl lib (odbc-postgresql) and you have
> > to configure /etc/odbc.ini. I have not done it in ages but the man pages
> > should help.
>
> Thanks for the help. I have installed odbc-postgresql, but unfortunately
> that does not seem to have put the correct enires in /etc/odbcinst.ini.
> Here is what it looks like:
>
> stan at plabws1:~$ cat /etc/odbcinst.ini
> [SQLite]
> Description             = SQLite ODBC Driver
> Driver          = /usr/lib/odbc/libsqliteodbc.so
> Setup           = /usr/lib/odbc/libsqliteodbc.so
> UsageCount              = 1
>
> [SQLite3]
> Description             = SQLite3 ODBC Driver
> Driver          = /usr/lib/odbc/libsqlite3odbc.so
> Setup           = /usr/lib/odbc/libsqlite3odbc.so
> UsageCount              = 2
>

> I added the following by hand:
>
> [postgress]
> Description             = postgress ODBC Driver
> Driver          = /usr/lib/odbc/psqlodbca.so
> Setup           = /usr/lib/odbc/psqlodbca.so
> UsageCount              = 3
>
> [postgress2]
> Description             = postgress ODBC Driver
> Driver          = /usr/lib/odbc/psqlodbcw.so
> Setup           = /usr/lib/odbc/psqlodbcw.so
> UsageCount              = 3
>
> But when I start ODBCConfig, and try to add a user DSN using these, I get
> an error message about not being able to get the properties for thes.
>
> There does not seem to be a man page for odbcinst.ini.
> /etc/odbc.ini is empty, and I don't seem to have a man page for it either.
>
> Any pointers to HOWTO's for this?

Hi Stan,
Just a thought. I never use odbc because I have never needed it on a linux
system. odbc is just another way to connect to a server. There has to be
something listening on the postgresql port (5432) on that device. odbc is for
windows, you can probably connect with a posgres command line client, a perl
script ... what ever. Bag the odbc.

Mike

--
Mike McGinn		FACOCM
No electrons were harmed in sending this message.