what package contains the raw vmlinux image?

Karl Larsen klarsen1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 21:04:30 UTC 2010

> On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Tom H wrote:
>
> ... snip ...
>

>> How would it be installed if it were not included?!
>>
>    i have no idea what that question even means.
>

>> Check
>> http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/l/linux/
>> or
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/
>> and download
>> linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic_2.6.32-22.36_i386.deb
>> or
>> linux-image-2.6.32-22-386_2.6.32-22.36_i386.deb
>>
>    and did you actually check that either of those files contains an
> actual, raw "vmlinux" kernel image file before giving me that
> advice?
>
>    i hate to sound snippy and abrupt but, at this point, i'm not really
> interested in reading replies that don't answer the simple question i
> asked, which was -- is there, or is there not, an official ubuntu
> package that i could just "apt-get install" that will supply (for
> debugging purposes or any other purpose) the raw, uncompressed vmlinux
> kernel image file that corresponds to the currently running kernel on
> my system?
>
>    as far as i can tell, the answer appears to be no, but i'm willing
> to be corrected.
>
> rday

     Let me guess. When I get a new kernel update I get two files. One
has the kernel and the other has the large array of files that the
kernel came from. They are stored in two places. I am not aware of a way
to get just one of the files. If you have just one, the kernel, your
system should run.

73 Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI