what package contains the raw vmlinux image?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Jul 1 10:45:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010, Markus Schönhaber wrote:

> 01.07.2010 11:41, Tom H:
>
> > Itz means that you have been using Linux for long enough to know
> > that vmlinuz doesn't appear out of nowhere.
>
> Correct. But the OP isn't looking for vmlinuz (the compressed kernel
> image) but vmlinux (the uncompressed one).

  let me try to resolve this issue -- someone on the ubuntu kernel
mailing list clarifies that this page:

  http://ddebs.ubuntu.com/pool/main/l/linux/

would typically contain such a package, but that page is frequently
cleaned since uncompressed vmlinux image files take up a lot of space.
also, at the moment, there is no package that corresponds to the
current kernel on my 10.04 system.  in short (and according to someone
who should know), *no*, there is no official, reliable package that
will provide the raw, uncompressed vmlinux kernel image file for the
current ubuntu 10.04 kernel.

  on the other hand, he suggests that there is a way to build one, and
i have to imagine that involves downloading the source corresponding
to the current kernel, doing a configuration with the corresponding
config file, and simply doing a regular build, which should
theoretically produce a vmlinux file that *exactly* matches the
running kernel (and it's important that it match *exactly*, otherwise,
it has no value for debugging).

  and since i'm still feeling my way around ubuntu, i'm not sure what
package(s) would represent the kernel source that i could download to
do the above but, again, i have to think it's a farly simple process
-- i just don't know what it is.  yet.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca