8.04 -> 10.04 Grub Grub 2 and LVM

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 07:15:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 1:46 PM, Robert Steinmetz AIA
<rob at steinmetznet.com> wrote:
>> Tom H wrote:
>>>
>>> GRUB starts and begins to load. it them fails to find the root file system
>>> and drops into a shell.
>>
>> "drops into a shell" means that your initramfs cannot find /, can you
>> load mdadm and lvm and continue from there by running the scripts
>> manually?
>
> Thanks for the help. I think I'm making progress.
>
> I'm not sure what scripts to run to load mdadm and lmv but in
> /scripts/init-premount there are scripts named lvm2 and mdadm
>
> When I run those scripts manually, I get this;
>
> (initramfs) cd /scripts/init-premount
> (initramfs) ./lvm2
> ln: /tmp/mountroot-fail-hooks.d/20-lvm2: File Exists
> (initramfs) ./mdadm
> ln: /tmp/mountroot-fail-hooks.d/10-mdadm: File exists

You're welcome.

Is udev creating the required /dev/md* and /dev/mapper/*?

If yes, try the mdadm and lvm commands in /sbin.

If the above two work, perhaps adding a rootdelay=x to the kernel line
will fix your problem because it might just be a question of timing.

(I meant the scripts in /scripts)