32 or 64??

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 21:09:38 UTC 2010

On 31 January 2010 22:04, Karl F. Larsen <klarsen1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>> Â  Â  Â  Â I am running an older AMD Athlon chip you had trouble with.
>>> It runs my old 32 bit system just fine. But should I get a new
>>> AMD CPU if I want to run 64 bits?
>>>

>> Karl, you miss the point. The 32-bit vs. 64-bit discussion is valid
>> only for those who's hardware supports both. The whole world will not
>> use 32-bit because that is the only architecture that your chip
>> supports.
>>

>        You said you had or have, a AMD Athlon chip and it is a 64
> bit capable device, but you got drop outs while using it. I am
> trying to find out what I have. It is AMD and might be a later
> model.
>
>        I have been told my chip is 64 bit capable.

I said that? I have gone through lots of AMD silicon, but the first
processor that I tried to run 64-bit code on was my Intel DuoCore from
2006 and little other than it (typing on it now). I use 32 bit for all
my installs, I only go near 64 bit for testing.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.