Desktop Launcher mystery

Dave Stevenson davstev at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 29 19:01:04 UTC 2010

Ulf Rompe wrote:

> Am 29.01.2010 15:43, schrieb Dave Stevenson:
>> All 3 files have same owner, group and permissions (100644).  Newly
>> created foo.desktop also fails.  I changed the URL in the non-working
>> file to the same as one of the working ones, worked OK. Changed it
>> back to the original URL, it failed. Copy & pasted non-working URL
>> into Firefox, it opened OK.
>
> Must be a funny character in the file. Which of the files you posted
> here is the one that fails?

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=text-html
Type=Link
Name=FeedTime.desktop
URL=http://pch-a100:8883/feedtime.cgi
Name[en_US]=FeedTime

Copy & paste this URL into a new foo.desktop, it fails.  Paste it into a
working foo.desktop, it fails.  Paste it directly into firefox, it
works.  Create foo.desktop as an application launcher with "firefox
http://pch-a100:8883/feedtime.cgi" as the command, it works.

That solves my problem of how to get a working launcher, but doesn't
answer the mystery of why it quit working when the only change was
from 64-bit to 32-bit.

Thanks for your help

Dave