How to login in Ubuntu 9.10 Live CD ?

Lawrence Tsang tkwinfo at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 15:53:41 UTC 2010

Hi Johnneylee Rollins, Karl F. Larsen, steve reilly and All,

     Thanks for the suggestions.

     In fact, I have used the "ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso" file downloaded
from the Ubuntu website and burned it to a CD. However, the same error
persists when I boot the burned CD in a CDrom and when I boot the ".iso"
file as a CDrom image in a VMware workstation 7 Virtual Machine. So I think
there are some errors in the original "ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso" file.

     After repeatedly booting the burned CD and the ".iso" file, I describe
the error as follows :

1. when just power on the computer / VM with the burned CD / ".iso" image, I
select "English" language.

2. I choose the "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer" option to
boot.

3. when just begin booting and the Ubuntu logo is just being seen, I press
the "ESC" key to show the booting messages.

4. I find the following error in the booting messages :

shadow passwords are now on
dpkg-query : read error in '/usr/lib/dpkg/triggers//File' : Input/output
error
chpasswd : invalid option -- 'e'
Usage : ..........(some messages I think to show the use of chpasswd)
install : invalid user 'ubuntu'
install : invalid user 'ubuntu'
.........(the following booting messages seem have no error)

     Then after the Ubuntu 9.10 has booted up, I find "authentication
failure"  when try to login as "ubuntu" with blank password.

     Perhaps there were some transmission errors when I downloaded the
original "ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso" file. But it seems that I had
downloaded this file twice.

     Does anyone have the same experience as I have ? Any comment.

Regards
Lawrence