1080p Playback

James Bensley jwbensley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 15:04:24 UTC 2010

On 29 January 2010 14:40, Steve <yorvik.ubunto at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> That does sound promising!
>>
> I’ve seen 1080p played with an Atom, Intel graphics mind you.
>
> --
> Steve

Yeah I mean ultimately I have seen lower spec machines play 1080p like
the ION platforms but it depends on the set up for example, I wouldn't
need my 2.0Ghz processor when only rendering on the GPU (which is what
I find in Windows, I have 2% CPU usage). However, I was skeptical as
when I play videos currently in Linux I get about 70% CPU usage on
both cores and it isn't watchable but not far off.

If I could partially unload the work to the GPU it would be OK.
Ideally it would be good to fully offload the job to the GPU like in
Ubuntu but how, is my problem?

--
Regards,
James ;)

Mike Ditka  - "If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have
given us arms." -
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/mike_ditka.html