Mozilla apps won't start

Jay Daniels dasautotec at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 03:11:29 UTC 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 20:34 -0600, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> Yesterday I had Firefox3.6 and Thunderbird3.01 running on my Ubuntu9.10
> amd64 machine. I had java plugin issues with Firefox and ended up
> re-formatting and reinstalling Ubuntu.
>
> I downloaded the Moz files and extracted them to /home/<me>/firefox and
> /home/<me>/thunderbird. If I go to the file browser and double click
> their shell scripts a dialog box pops up and I choose "run". I see a
> little disk activity but nothing else happens.
>
> If I open a terminal and type:
>
> :cd thunderbird/thunderbird
> :~/thunderbird/thunderbird ls
>
> I get a listing of the directory including run-mozilla.sh, thunderbird &
> thunderbird-bin
>
> If I do:
>
> :~/thunderbird/thunderbird$ thunderbird
>
> I get:
> The program 'thunderbird' is currently not installed. You can install it
> by typing: sudo apt-get install thunderbird
> thunderbird: command not found
>
> They were running yesterday but not today so I must be making some kind
> of basic mistake and would appreciate some help again.
>
> Thanks,  Jim

To run a program that is not in your path, you type...

cd ~/to_directory_file_is_in
./program_name

or type full path of program...
~/thunderbird/thunderbird

I think you should make some shortcuts on the desktop to make it simple
to start your programs.  Right-click on the desktop or gnome panel and
click create launcher...

jay