best/easiest commandline email program for mass-email

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay at dinamis.com
Thu Jan 28 22:36:02 UTC 2010

On 01/28/2010 05:23 PM, Alex Janssen wrote:
> Well, that's real good idea.  Sort of what I was thinking of doing.
> I've written plenty scripts, so no problem there.  Which is
> better/easier, sendmail, mailx or mailutils?
>
> I am sending a news letter.
>
> I could use OpenOffice.org Writer like noop suggested, but I can't
> figure out how to get a database field into a mailto hyperlink.  If they
> want to opt out of the list, I'd like it to email me back the address I
> sent to.  I did get it to email to the list, though.
>
> I like the shell script method.  Seems to give me more control over the
> content and I can build the aforementioned hyperlink.

If your emails need to be personalized, i.e. "Dear Alex" as opposed to
the spammy "Dear Friend" or just "Hello", the best way I've found to do
is to use some sort of templating, e.g. Django page templates which can
be used without having to use all of Django, and Python. Python has
excellent mail handling libraries and with not many lines of
easy-to-understand, you can do some amazing things with it. If you don't
need personalized emails, a Mailman list server will do the job very
well. Setting up an announcement-only mailing list with MM is very easy
and it'll handle bounces for you and give your audience a convenient way
of opting out, if they should wish to do so.

There is also PHPList, which has all the usual intrusive ways of
detecting things like open rates, etc. but I've never used it.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis