Network

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 28 01:34:37 UTC 2010

On 01/27/2010 05:11 PM, Ross Schoenauer wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> So do you have any shared folders? Open Nautilus, right-click on a
>> folder you wish to share, select Properties|Share and elect to 'Share
>> this folder'. Doesn't do any good to install samba if you've nothing to
>> share...
>>
>> The newer the system/version the easier it is to perform samba sharing.
>> I've systems with Hardy, Jaunty, Karmic, Win2K, WinXP, and Win7 and can
>> honestly say that I have zero issues sharing amongst them with the
>> improvements in Karmic. I've not had to modify a samba config file since
>> Hardy/Intrepid - Samba does just work 'out-of-the-box' these days (in
>> karmic) IMO.

> Yes i have shared folders on all computers.  Network will not see any
> other computers.  All I get is "unable to mount workgroup". This happens
> with all of my computers.
>
> ?????????????????   Ross.

All on the same subnet? You said you could ping all the others; how
about if you use (in Nautilus):
smb://<ipaddressofothercomputer>
can you see it then?

If not, were I you I'd just simply:

$ sudo apt-get purge samba

on all the 9.10's & start over. Properties|Share and elect to 'Share
this folder' and let Nautilus do the work of installing & setting the
folder sharing. Note: you may have to reboot/logout-in to get the
settings to take effect. Before you do that, check to see if samba is
actually running on the machines:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/samba status
 * nmbd is running
 * smbd is running

or

$ service samba status
 * nmbd is running
 * smbd is running

Put all of them on the same workgroup (default is generally mshome).