Gimp fonts question

sktsee sktsee at tulsaconnect.com
Wed Jan 27 16:57:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:32:35 +0000, R Kimber wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:24:41 -0800
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> > Is there any way of preventing these from loading in Gimp?
>>
>> Perhaps check your ~/.fonts folder to see if there is a symlink to the
>> fonts in /usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts/type1/public/? My
>> /.gimp-2.6/fonts folder is empty by default (on both 2.6.7 and 2.6.8).
>
> Thanks, but there's nothing there (except fonts)
>
>> This might be of help:
>> http://www.gimp.org/unix/fonts.html
>
> I did look at that, but it seems to focus on adding fonts, rather than
> subtracting them, as it were.

I think discussion on smarter font management has been around for a long
time, and while some progress has been made on establishing a framework,
there remains a lot of work to be done. Here's a couple of links on the
subject:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FontManagement
http://live.gnome.org/fonts

In the meantime, you might try a program like fontmatrix (which is in
universe) or font-manager (found here: http://code.google.com/p/font-
manager) to do some basic font management. Both programs allow for things
like deactivating/activating fonts, creating font collections, tagging,
displaying font info, etc...

--
sktsee