Problem with GRUB and UPDATE MANAGER

Johnneylee Rollins johnneylee.rollins at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 09:23:25 UTC 2010

This is how you boot from livecd and chroot into your system to reinstall grub.
 1.) Boot into the live Ubuntu cd
 2.) When you get to the desktop open a terminal.
 2.1) Become root with sudo -i
 3.) You have to mount your root partition.
 3.1) # mkdir /mnt/root
 3.2) # mount -t ext3 /dev/x /mnt/root (x is your root partition's
device name. Mine is /dev/sda1)
 4.) Now you have to mount the proc subsystem and udev inside /mnt/root
 4.1) # mount -t proc none /mnt/root/proc
 4.2) # mount -o bind /dev /mnt/root/dev
 5.)Now you have to chroot into your mounted system.
 5.1) # chroot /mnt/root /bin/bash
 6.) Now to reinstall grub. If you aren't root after chrooting, add
sudo to this command
 6.1)# grub
 7.) Now you should have a prompt that looks like this: grub> we're
going to locate our grub installation
 7.1) grub> find /boot/grub/stage1 (only copy and paste the "find
/boot/grub/stage1" part)
 7.2) grub should print out some location. Mine said (hd0,1)
  8.) Now we're going to make sure grub uses the partition with grub on it
 8.1)grub> root (hd0,1) (replace 0,1 with where grub said your
installation was.)
 9.) Now to install grub onto the partition
 9.1)grub> setup (hd0) (replace this with the first number you got in step 7.1)

Note: this is for grub-legacy. Once you get this up and running, you
can reinstall or reconfigure grub2. I don't use grub2 yet, so you'll
have to use your google-fu if you only want that on your system.

~SpaceGhost