Could Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) users install some packages in higher Ubuntu versions ?

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Wed Jan 27 06:35:08 UTC 2010

On 01/27/2010 01:54 AM, Tom H wrote:

> I installed lucid's linux-image 2.6.32 and firefox 3.6 on a jaunty box
> with the following. You can adapt this to your case but be warned that
> I was just messing around so did not care whether I broke anything.
> All is well though up to now.

Tom, this may be useful to you without recompiling the kernels or set up
a new partition with full installs to try. To try out other kernels with
another distro, at grub2 prompt, you can modify, say using kernel from
sda5 to use for distro at sda8

grub>linux (hd0,5)/vmlinuz root=sda8
grub>initrd (hd0,5)/initrd.img
grub>boot

It booted alright for me but end up with a non-functioning mouse or
keyboard. Some applications are not loaded, but that's okay. Maybe it is
because the kde versions crosses 3.5.10; 4.2.something and 4.4 rc2. If
you find a way to help handle the mouse/keyboard freeze, will appreciate it.

regards - goh lip