Java not working in Firefox 3.6

Jim Byrnes jf_byrnes at comcast.net
Wed Jan 27 04:15:46 UTC 2010

NoOp wrote:
> On 01/26/2010 09:34 AM, Jim Byenwa wrote:
>>> <snip>
>> The above discussion was about my i386 test machine, I can't get it to
>> work on my new amd64 machine, ie. about:plugins shows no Java plugin
>> loaded.  I tried it using both ~/mozilla/plugins and ~/firefox/plugins.
>>
>> :~/firefox/plugins$ ls -l
>> total 16
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 jim jim    58 2010-01-25 22:43 libnpjp2.so ->
>> /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.15/jre/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 jim jim 15716 2010-01-15 16:41 libnullplugin.so
>>
>> This seems to indicate that the link was established.
>>
>> Just to further my education what does total 16 represent?
>>
>> I am unsure what I did wrong.
>
> I've already told you to *not* use ~/firefox/plugins. Period! The only
> useful thing that you can possibly do with anything in that folder is to
> delete the PITA default libnullplugin.so. Use ~/.mozilla/plugins instead.

My first attempt was with ~/.mozilla/plugins but it did not work.  I
tried ~/firefox/plugins because it was there and on the 32bit machine it
did work. At that time I was focused more on paths and not 64 vs 32 bit
issues.  I just tried ~/.mozilla/plugins again and according to
about:plugins the java plugin is not loaded. One benifit of all this is
that I am now more comfortable using the terminal.

> There is no official 64bit builds for mozilla (long heated discussions
> over on the mozilla support groups - seems there are "64bit build
> machine resource issues). For the 64bit builds you need to use the
> nightly's (same for SeaMonkey). Download:

> <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-mozilla-1.9.2/>
>
> firefox-3.6.1pre.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
>
> That works well with 64bit java and flash.

OK, I'll try that one, but I'm not ready to give up on 3.6 yet.  Just
stubbron I guess, but the fact that 3.5.7 runs makes me wonder why I
can't get 3.6 to work.

> Might I recommend while you are testing, that you also try SeaMonkey
> (replaces both Firefox and Thunderbird). On the 64bit:
> <http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/nightly/latest-comm-1.9.1/>
>
> seamonkey-2.0.3pre.en-US.linux-x86_64.tar.bz2
>
> Extract and use the same way that you did Firefox. That version also
> supports the latest 64bit java & flash w/o issues (for me).
> Info:
> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
> http://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/features

I used to use Seamonkey and liked it on another platform.  Problem was
my ISP and bank complained about an unsupported browser. I got tired of
clearing pop up warnings and just switched to Firefox.  Just last week I
  got an email from my bank saying that IE and Firefox were the ONLY
browsers that could use the site.

Regards,  Jim