questions on dedicated VPN link

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Jan 27 00:59:13 UTC 2010

Nay Myo Win wrote:
> Dear brothers.
>
> I have two offices and both have their own internet access.
> One has ADSL and the other has broadband. Internet Service Provider is
> the same for both and they allow only HTTP and HTTPS ports. other ports
> are banned.

Do you have fixed ip addresses for both offices? Or at least a fix ip
address?

> I now would like to create VPN links between two offices placing each
> UBuntu VPN server with OpenVPN on each office. Is that possible? Please
> suggest me how to? I am very new to linux and VPN.

It is possible but you have certain criteria before it can work. If both
offices are using a router, you need access to those routers to setup
routing rules. Or you have to use the Ubuntu VPN boxes as the routers. I
hope you are not new to networking also. If you are new at all this, you
must be prepared to spend time learning (could take a week or more) or
you might be better off hiring an expert. Again, if you are using
routers and they are supplied by the ISP, then you need access to those
routers.