NTFS drive wont mount - "unknown filesystem"?

David McNally david3333333 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 17:55:29 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Leonard <lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> David McNally wrote:

>>> Give the guy a break, he actually is trying to help and offered to go
>>> look in stead of sending OP to lmgtfy.com
>>
>> Asking "Do you need some hand holding?" is not trying to help. It's
>> trying to be obnoxious and rude.
>>

>>> If you had read the thread, you would know that he was apolgizing for
>>> the prior post.  And you made your point and at this point he may not be
>>> the only one being the dick.
>>
>> If you had read the thread, you would know that I did read the thread.
>> You would know this because you would have read my incredibly long
>> post describing what I thought of his first post. I am trying to get
>> help with my hard drive, and I'm not here to be treated like an
>> infant. Being told "Do you need some hand holding?" is not how people
>> help each other.
>>

>>> --
>>>

>> I think that I've received enough help from most people who
>> contributed to this thread. A lot of people helped me out, and one guy
>> pissed me off twice, and person stood up for the guy who pissed me off
>> twice. I think that I have enough information to continue on my own.
>> Most of the people here were extremely polite and answered all of my
>> questions quickly and kindly. If I do need any more help with this, I
>> think I'll go somewhere else, and find people who are more helpful
>> than Patton Echols or Johnneylee Rollins. Like MS customer support.
>>
> Go and have fun-:o)  BTW, been wanting to ask you after following this
> thread if you ever unmount your USB HDD before you unplug it.  That
> could be a cause of problems.
>
> --
> Leonard
> lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net

Hi Leonard. I've tried unmounting it, but I can't even mount it at
all. The computer seems to understand that it's a USB device, but it
doesn't actually figure out that it's a hard drive.

Also, I haven't unplugged it in months. It is an external hard drive,
but it isn't portable and needs power from a wall outlet to work.
Also, I got it so I can use it on a desktop.

Originally, when I realised that there was a problem, the first thing
that I did was unplug it. Doesn't seem to have worked. Thanks for the
idea though.

David