Gimp fonts question

R Kimber richardkimber at btinternet.com
Tue Jan 26 14:16:54 UTC 2010

In my Gimp preferences there are two font folders listed:
~/.gimp-2.6/fonts    and    ~/.fonts

However,Gimp loads a whole lot of other fonts from,
e.g., /usr/share/texmf-texlive/fonts/type1/public/

I assume these other fonts are there for a purpose (i.e. they've been
installed by other applications).

Is there any way of preventing these from loading in Gimp?

Some of them, although they will print latin chars, clutter up the toolbox
font list and the thumbnails appear as chinese or arabic chars (e.g. Kochi
Gothic), which is somewhat distracting and not very useful when looking for
a suitable font. Or is deletion the only answer, and if so is there a way of
telling what effect deletion will have on other applications?  Has anyone
deleted such fonts with no noticeably adverse effects?

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources