How to know what filesystem is on my ubuntu and whether dir_index is enabled?

NoOp glgxg at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 26 01:48:18 UTC 2010

On 01/25/2010 03:28 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
> Could somebody let me know how to figure out what filesystem is on my
> ubuntu machine? And how to check whether dir_index is enabled?

$ cat /etc/fstab

will generally provide you with the filesystem information. Example:

$ cat /etc/fstab
#
#  -- This file has been automaticly generated by ntfs-config --
#

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# Entry for /dev/sdb1 :
UUID=c<snipped> / ext4 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1

>From the above you can see that the filesystem is ext4.

Another cli method is to use parted:

$ sudo parted -l

For a GUI, use gparted.