Grub disk: something automatic?

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 20:46:05 UTC 2010

> I'll send separately to your email an iso file about 1 Mb a grub2 live
> cd.

Thanks!

> To boot, do one (out of 3) of the following
>
> *1*
> configfile (hd0,x)/boot/grub/grub.cfg
>
> *2*
> linux (hdy,x)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdax     {sdbx  ?}
> initrd (hdy,x)/initrd.img
> boot
>
> *3*
> set root=(hdy,x)
> chainloader +1
> boot
>
> note: 'x' and 'y' in (hdy,x) and sdax {sdbx ?}  is a real number of your
> partition
> do a search to confirm:
> search -f /vmlinuz
> search -f /boot/grub/grub.cfg
> search -f /boot/grub/menu.lst    {?}

I searched Google for this disk hoping to find info, but I found none.
>From where did it come?

> To set grub2 of your Karmic partition, boot your Karmic livecd,
>

> at terminal...
> sudo grub-setup -d /media/{kubuntu9.10partition}/boot/grub /dev/sda
>
> substitute /media/{kubuntu9.10partition} with actual partition :)
>
> If you get error message,(mapping fails), do this..
> sudo grub-setup -d /media/{kubuntu9.10partition}/boot/grub -m
> /media/{kubuntu9.10partition}/boot/grub/device.map /dev/sda
>

> However, I think it's best to use the grub2.iso and boot up and do a
> grub-install /dev/sda

That looks like just what I am looking for!

> Dotan, if I remember correctly from one of your earlier messages, you've
> set up your master/slave drive which is reversed. ie., sda is slave and
> sdb is master. Maybe you want to look at that if you are still unable to
> get this working.

You have some memory! That is the wife's machine, it turns out that in
the BIOS one configures the drive order, which is different than the
boot order. It's a mess, I've never encountered that before. However,
this thread is just a general question for keeping me out of trouble.
I'm not working on that machine now.

Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen