Firefox - How to block a specific site?

Bill Mills-Curran bill at mills-curran.net
Sat Jan 23 18:31:12 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 11:16:01AM -0700, RobertHoltzman wrote:
> From: RobertHoltzman <holtzm at cox.net>
> To: ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:16:01 -0700
> Subject: Re: Firefox - How to block a specific site?
>
> On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 09:37:17AM +0000, Graham Todd wrote:
> > On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 22:03:06 -0700
> > ANDY <sirald66 at gmail.com> uttered these words:
> >
> > > UBUNTU 9.10
> > > FIREFOX 3.5.7
> > >
> > > Using Firefox or /etc/hosts, I want to block/redirect www.FoxNews.com.
> > >
> > > How should I do that?
> > >

> > > ANDY - Salt Lake, UT
> >
> > Short answer:
> >
> > make sure you fire up your text editor in root mode, then
> > open /etc/hosts in the text editor.  Place an extra line *at the bottom*
> > of all your text as follows:
> >
> > 127.0.0.1		www.FoxNews.com
>
>                .............snip............
>
> Forgive my ignorance. I've never had occasion to use it but would
> /etc/hosts.deny have bearing on this?
>
> --
> Bob Holtzman
> GPG key ID = 8D549279
> If you think you're getting free lunch
> check the price of the beer.

Bob,

Here's a snippet of the comments from my hosts.deny file:

# /etc/hosts.deny: list of hosts that are _not_ allowed to access the system.
#

Thus, hosts.deny blocks /incoming/ access, not outgoing browser
access.  It blocks access to daemons running on your system from
external addresses.

Regards,
Bill