Problem logging in

sdavmor sdavmor at systemstheory.net
Sat Jan 23 00:37:34 UTC 2010

Knute Johnson wrote:
> I installed 64 bit xubuntu and set it so it would automatically log
> in. The problem I'm having is that the login dialog displays anyway
> and when I type in my login info it won't login until I try it many
> times. It appears to be getting worse, as in taking more tries to
> login. Evenutally I get it to work.  Anybody heard of this problem
> before?  I did try resetting my password but that didn't make any
> difference.
>
> xubuntu 9.10 amd64

I had to manually reset my mythbuntu media server after upgrading it
to Ubuntu 9.10 (32 bit). I added these lines to /etc/gdm/custom.conf:

[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=true
AutomaticLogin=yourloginID
TimedLoginEnable=true
TimedLogin=yourloginID

I have no idea how that will work with XFCE but I expect there must be
something similar to /etc/gdm/custom.conf that xubuntu uses. Maybe
even that very file.
Systems Theory project website: www.systemstheory.net
www.mikedickson.org.uk