NTFS drive wont mount - "unknown filesystem"?

David McNally david3333333 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 21:14:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Johnneylee Rollins
<johnneylee.rollins at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:47 PM, David McNally <david3333333 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just to see if it works, I clicked reply to my original email. Maybe
>> that will help? Maybe not. We'll see.
> <snip>

> David, buddy. Get this. You _have_ to manually click and put your
> response at the bottom.
Ok. But _how_ do I _do_ that in _Gmail_?
> Can you manage that?
Actually, no, I can't. You didn't tell me how to do it.

Johnneylee, buddy, people like you are the reason that this list gets
counter-productive. I fully appreciate the people who are trying to
help, but being sarcastic and treating me like an idiot is completely
reversing their help. If I were new to Ubuntu, I would probably have
switched back to Windows if I received a response like that.

There are people who aren't experts with email. I log in to my Gmail
3-4 times a month. I know very little about email itself, let alone an
entire mailing list. Get this. You _have_ to be kinder to people who
want your help. Can you manage that? This is NOT how people on this
list should behave. I never liked the MS customer support people, but
at least they weren't sarcastic. And to be honest, your comment seems
like pretty solid evidence that MS is infiltrating the mailing list to
sway new Linux users back to Windows.

Before I continue, I'd like to mention that most people on this list
are actually quite nice and polite, and usually answer swiftly and
give useful instructions. But I've never been spoken to like that on
this mailing list, and I suggest you not do it again if you want
Ubuntu noobs to continue using Ubuntu.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could teach me how to put my
posts in the right place. I certainly don't want to disturb Johnneylee
from reading my thread correctly. After all, he is such a big help for
everyone. It's terrible that I'm distracting him from giving me his
valuable time and assistance.

And now for my original question: does anyone know of any really good
recovery tools for NTFS?