NTFS drive wont mount - "unknown filesystem"?

Dave Woyciesjes woyciesjes at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 21 21:08:31 UTC 2010

David McNally wrote:
> Regarding the first part: I'm using GMail. I clicked "Reply" at the
> bottom of the most recent message. I'm not sure if that should fix the
> problem. Just let me know and I'll change.

	Nah, reply still on top. I think there may be a setting in GMail. Or at
least it should allow you to scroll and insert at the bottom...

 > Anyway, I've tried plugging the hard drive into a windows xp computer,
 > and also into a vista VM in VirtualBox. In My Computer, the hard drive
 > does not appear at all. Keep in mind that Ubuntu does not show any
 > sign of the hard drive at all either, but it does show up in GParted
 > in Ubuntu, and it shows up in the list of USB filters in VBox, so
 > Ubuntu does recognise that there is a device. It just doesn't realise
 > that it's a hard drive. Seems like Windows Explorer is doing the same.
 >
 > However, when I plugged the hard drive into the XP computer and opened
 > up compmgmt.msc, the hard drive was there. When I right-clicked on the
 > partition, all of the options were grayed out, except for "format",
 > which would make me lose all of my data. I'm not sure that windows can
 > really help me.
 >
 > I also tried compmgmt in the vista VM, and the same thing happened.

	Hmmm, sounds like the (information table?) for the drive is corrupted.
Looks like time for some recovery tools. I believe there were mentions
of resuce boot CDs earlier in this thread.
	'Course, if you have the cash, a local independant computer shop may be
of help also... You could also look for a Linux User Group in your area.
Or maybe there is a list member here that is local to you & willing to help?

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818