using awk on a variable

Ray Parrish crp at cmc.net
Thu Jan 21 16:00:20 UTC 2010

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> I have the following code which is not working -
>>
>>           ReturnValue="`ls -als "$Package"`"
>>           if [[ "$ReturnValue" != "" ]]
>>                then
>>                     DateTime="`awk "$ReturnValue" { print $7, $8 }`"
>>                     echo "$DateTime"
>>                     return
>>           fi
>>

> Sorry, I don't speak awk, so I can't help you with the awk problem. But
> isn't that a bit complicated to get the date of a file using the ls
> command and then extracting the relevant part from the output? IMHO, the
> date command is better for this purpose:
>
> DateTime=$(date -r "$Package" "+%Y-%m-%d %H:%M")
>

> Nils

Thanks for the tip, I had no idea before that the installed date, and
time of a package was available from it's properties alone. I'm not sure
which code example I will wind up using, as they both work great.

Thanks again, Ray Parrish

--
Linux dpkg Software Report script set..
http://www.rayslinks.com/LinuxdpkgSoftwareReport.html