OT - Re: meaning of modem lights

Thufir hawat.thufir at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 22:29:29 UTC 2010

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:19:48 -0800, Patton Echols wrote:

> Many cable modems also have a method of internal restart. Because ours
> also has our phone service, it has an internal battery and unplugging it
> does nothing.  Look for the correct restart method on your unit.
>
> Depending on provider, once a month is too often, once a week, would be
> a tech support call and a demand that the provider replace the defective
> equipment. (unless you own it of course).

It's only every 4-6 months, so, infrequent enough that I've usually just
given up, and then it's magically repaired.  I didn't consider rebooting
the modem under these circumstances, since the modem indicates a
connection with a solid light for "internet," but that's probably the
solution.

As best I recall ifconfig was just blank on IPv4 address, but did
indicate an IPv6 address.  (A minor advantage of IPv4, to my mind, is
that it's easily human readable.  I'm sure some can translate the hex to
decimal in their head, but not me.)  I found it odd that that the IPv4
field was empty.

Next time I'll reboot the modem (unplug, leave unplug 3+ minutes is
pretty standard) and try that :)

Largely, just venting, so "glad" to hear that at least I wasn't alone
with ISP frustrations (oh, shaw.ca); I just didn't bother to really press
them to the point where the would say "ok, start windows up..."

thanks,

Thufir