Chrome in Karmic facilitates access to irksome sites

Wed Jan 20 15:01:52 UTC 2010

Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:

> > Gilles Gravier <ggravier at fsfe.org> :
> > Intel and AMD are the same... Just that Intel is usually used to
> > refer to 32 bit architectures and AMD to 64 bit architectures.
>
> No. Completely wrong.
> - i386, i686... for 32bits (Intel or AMD)
> - amd64 for 64bits (Intel or AMD)

When talking about architectures, Intel gave us x86, AMD x86_64. AMD
licenced x86 off Intel, I'm not certain on the arrangement by which
both use x86_64, but I imagine it has IP from each company in it.

Of course, the OP certainly infers that Gilles is not *completely*
wrong - I've many times seen 'intel' used to refer to x86. Before
Itanium I don't think Intel had any other mainstream architecture (not
that Itanium's particularly mainstream as it is), so 'Intel' would have
been a perfectly workable term against, say 'ARM'. Old habits die hard.

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk ;)